The Republic Years
· Audio CD (October 3, 2006)
· Original Release Date: October 3, 2006
· Label: Varese Sarabande
· ASIN: B000I2IQE2
This album is a real treat to anyone who loved the Roy Rogers – Sons of the Pioneers movies of the 1940s. The selections are from Republic Studio's vaults and consist primarily of rehearsals and final takes for songs that were later dubbed into the various films. "It's an Old Spanish Custom", is included in error because by this time the Sons of the Pioneers had been replaced by Foy Willing, not the Sons of the Pioneers.
Album Review by OJ Sikes:
the Varese Sarabande record label issued an LP of material recorded in the 1940s
& '50s for use on the soundtracks of 12 of Roy Rogers' movies. These were
recorded by Roy & the Sons of the Pioneers in a studio, without interference
from dialogue or horses snorting, etc. interrupting the music. Later, they would
lip-synch on camera, while their pre-recorded music played as they rode down the
trail or sang at a square dance at some other point in the movie, making for a
better sounding soundtrack.
1. My Saddle Pals and I (Roy Rogers) from "Heldorado", 1946.
2. Silver Spurs, Purple Sage, Eyes of Blue (Denver Darling) from "Heldorado", 1946.
3. The Everlasting Hills of Oklahoma (Tim Spencer) from "Home in Oklahoma", 1946.
4. Rainbow over Texas (Jack Elliott) from "Rainbow over Texas", 1946.
5. My Adobe Hacienda (Massey / Penny) from "On the Old Spanish Trail", 1947.
6. Cowboy Country (Tim Spencer) from "The Gay Ranchero", 1948.
7. I'm an Old Cowhand (Johnny Mercer) from "King of the Cowboys", 1943.
8. Medley: When it's Springtime in the Rockies (Sauer / Taggart) / Tumbling Tumbleweeds (Bob Nolan) / Highways are Happy Ways (Shaw / Malie / Harris) from "Silver Spurs", 1943.
9. Mexicali Rose (Stone / Tenney) from "Song of Texas", 1943.
10. Whoopee Ti Yi Yo (traditional) from "Song of Texas", 1943.
11. Don't Fence Me In (Cole Porter) from "Don't Fence Me In", 1945.
12. Utah Trail (B. Palmer) from "Utah", 1945.
13. Cowboy Jubilee (Ken Carson) from "Lights of Old Santa Fe", 1944.
14. Ride 'em, Cowboy (Tim Spencer / Roy Rogers) from "Lights of Old Santa Fe", 1944.
15. Lights of Old Santa Fe (Jack Elliott) from "Lights of Old Santa Fe", 1944.
17. Ride, Ranger, Ride (Tim Spencer) from "King of the Cowboys", 1943.
18. Lonesome Cowboy Blues (Tim Spencer) from "Utah", 1945.
19. Red River Valley (traditional) from "King of the Cowboys", 1943.
20. On the Old Spanish Trail (Smith / Kennedy) from "On the Old Spanish Trail", 1947.